A short and concise list of things I do to take care of my mental well-being.
20 way I keep myself mentally healthy
1. No social media (except for LinkedIn.)
2. Exercising (Kickboxing and Zumba. Sometimes, Pilates).
3. Getting lost in a really good novel. (Currently reading: 1984.)
4. Walking as much as possible. (Here’s a great article on why walking as a form of transportation is super dope.)
5. Lots of music. (Current anthem: The Way Life Goes.)
6. Lots, and lots, and lots of inspirational quotes, proverbs, mantras, etc.
7. Love; lots, and lots, and lots of it. (Required: Self, and maybe an awesome supportive partner.)
8. Re-watching The Office, like a billion times. (And, Bob’s Burgers).
9. Discipline (= Freedom)
10. Listening to podcasts. (All time favorite: Freakonomics)
12. Accepting life is suffering. Then, doing awesome things that make the suffering worth it. (Thank you, Jordan Peterson.)
13. Forgiving myself when I fail.
14. Avoiding the news. (What is a Trump? I do not know.)
15. Reading super awesome and inspirational blogs written by super awesome people I’ll probably never meet.
17. Practicing Stoic principles. (What is Stoicism?)
18. Keeping a journal. (Some neat journaling technique I recently picked up.)
19. Crying. (‘Cause, crying is good for you.)
20. Reading Warsan Shire‘s poems (that make me cry a lot.)
“later that night
i held an atlas in my lap
ran my fingers across the whole world
where does it hurt?
– Warsan Shire
How do you keep yourself mentally healthy?