Last November, our youth committee, Youth in Partnership (YiP), hosted a mental health art contest asking young people in Windsor-Essex to submit an original art piece demonstrating how they keep themselves mentally healthy.
The response was amazing!
Youth all across the city submitted incredibly creative and fun artwork pieces showcasing how they keep themselves mentally healthy. I was both inspired, and in awe, of the spirit young people displayed in recognizing the importance of youth mental health and well-being.
This post is in part inspired by the youth mental health art contest, and in part by my lack of artistic capabilities but love for writing. It’s a short concise list of things I do to take care of my mental well-being. I might expand on some of them in the near future.
20 way I keep myself mentally healthy
1. No social media (except for LinkedIn.)
2. Exercising (Kickboxing and Zumba. Sometimes, Pilates).
3. Getting lost in a really good novel. (Currently reading: 1984.)
4. Walking as much as possible. (Here’s a great article on why walking as a form of transportation is super dope.)
5. Lots of music. (Current anthem: The Way Life Goes.)
6. Lots, and lots, and lots of inspirational quotes, proverbs, mantras, etc.
7. Love; lots, and lots, and lots of it. (Required: Self, and maybe an awesome supportive partner.)
8. Re-watching The Office, like a billion times. (And, Bob’s Burgers).
9. Discipline (= Freedom)
10. Listening to podcasts. (All time favorite: Freakonomics)
12. Accepting life is suffering. Then, doing awesome things that make the suffering worth it. (Thank you, Jordan Peterson.)
13. Forgiving myself when I fail.
14. Avoiding the news. (What is a Trump? I do not know.)
15. Reading super awesome and inspirational blogs written by super awesome people I’ll probably never meet.
17. Practicing Stoic principles. (What is Stoicism?)
18. Keeping a journal. (Some neat journaling technique I recently picked up.)
19. Crying. (‘Cause, crying is good for you.)
20. Reading Warsan Shire‘s poems (that make me cry a lot.)
“later that night
i held an atlas in my lap
ran my fingers across the whole world
where does it hurt?
– Warsan Shire
How do you keep yourself mentally healthy?