Here are 7 tools that could be really useful to keep oneself mentally healthy.
2. Practice voluntary discomfort.
- Sleep on the floor for a night.
- Fast for a day. Or, two.
- Go outside wearing a t-shirt when it’s below freezing.
4. Download SelfControl
In my previous post, Mental health and social media, I discussed the negative impact social media, and the internet in general, can have on our mental wellbeing. SelfControl is a free Mac app that blocks access to websites or mail servers for a pre-set length of time.
Getting a good night rest is critical to mental wellness. Sleepyti.me is a bedtime calculator that helps you wake up refreshed by finding the best time to go to sleep.
6. Watch a short 8-minute lecture where Jordan Petersons advises us on why we should accept life is suffering, and what we can do about it.
Ironically, it is very comforting.
7. Watch Laugh Factory on Youtube.
From their about page: “The best stand up comedy clips online. That’s it.”
“It is okay to be at a place of struggle. Struggle is just another word for growth. Even the most evolved beings find themselves in a place of struggle now and then. In fact, struggle is a sure sign to them that they are expanding; it is their indication of real and important progress. The only one who doesn’t struggle is the one who doesn’t grow. So if you are struggling right now, see it as a terrific sign — celebrate your struggle.”
— Neale Donald Walsch