As I admitted in a previous post, I am obsessed with radical ideas.
There is certainly no shortage of self-care ideas to browse through on the World Wide Web, advising us to meditate, walk-in nature, or get a massage, body scrub, facial or book yourself into a spa for a day or weekend to practice self-care.
I’m very indulgent when it comes to self-care, and I, too, love spending $7 Starbucks latte to treat myself, although I cannot get into meditation to save my life, and prefer the unconventional approach when it comes to practicing self-care.
Below are 10 radical self-care ideas I practice and find to be the most useful, in no particular order of importance.
1. Make a list of personal policies to live by: One of my personal policy for 2019 is that, moving forward, I will only tip based on service, and not just to avoid being stereotyped.
It is extremely demeaning to tip after receiving inferior service just to avoid contributing to the stereotype. While on the topic, avoiding certain establishments where I feel un-welcomed at is also part of the list. Not my money, bish.
What are some personal policies you want to implement in your life?
2. Do not do things that leave you feeling bitter: For instance, don’t hang around people that leave you feeling bitter, whether it’s because they drain you of your energy, or it’s because you envy them.
Ask yourself, do I feel energized and motivated, or exhausted and bitter, after spending time with this person?
3. Quit your job if it’s draining you: NO ONE ever said, ‘I wish I stayed at that job that was making me extremely miserable.’
4. Give a fuck about giving a fuck: The world is full of cynical, lazy assholes. It’s cowardly. Instead, stand for something. Believe in something.
5. Show yourself some tough love: Self-love is important and all, but what about tough-self-love? My favorite saying is, ‘But, did you die though?’
6. Quit the news altogether: “Right after the election, Erik Hagerman decided he’d take a break from reading about the hoopla of politics. Donald Trump’s victory shook him. Badly. And so Mr. Hagerman developed his own eccentric experiment, one that was part silent protest, part coping mechanism, part extreme self-care plan.”
I’m almost forgetting what Trump is.
7. Accept that life is suffering: Then, do awesome things that make the suffering worth it.
8. Give in: Sometimes, the only thing left to do it to give into the feeling(s). Take a day, a week, or a month off. Contemplate life. Have multiple existential crises. Cry hysterically. Then, laugh hysterically ’cause life is so bizarre.
9. “Invent your life over if it doesn’t feel juicy.” Be radically innovative.
10. Be more like Bach: Pictured above.
For more radical self-care ideas, read: ✨20 ways I keep myself mentally healthy✨
Do you have any unconventional self-care ideas you live by?
Share them below!