Welcome to my blog!
I’m Mehret (me-he-re-t), a Sociology (M.A.) graduate working in the field of youth work with a knack for writing. At this tiny corner of the internet, I dedicate my writing to three main areas— youth work, digital wellness, and mental health.
Youth Work: I have over 5 years of experience working with youth in academic settings and non-profit organizations. I wrote my graduate course thesis on the issue of youth poverty, and the importance of youth empowerment and youth activism for social change. Check out my LinkedIn resume.
Digital Wellness: My personal obsession for all things related to social media has led me to read a conspicuous amount of literature on the topic, and subsequently quit social media altogether. As a self-proclaimed social-media-hater, I have begun to consider myself a digital wellness expert, naturally. In this section, I aim to bring awareness to the unintended consequences of the digital world and advocate for cultivating digital wellness.
Mental Health: This section is dedicated to mental health and mental wellness, specifically as it relates to youth work and digital wellness. I have a minor in Psychology, as well as professional experience working in the mental health field.
This blog is intended to part academic, part self-reflection, and part humorous.
When I’m not busy adulting, I read a conspicuous amount of books borrowed from the library, make mediocre embroidery art, and patiently wait for the revolution.
You can contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Besides that, here are some interesting-ish facts about me:
- I was born and raised in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and can speak and read fluently in Amharic, the official language of Ethiopia.
- I have an accent, which some say is a mixture of Ethiopian, Canadian and Torontonian accents. I really don’t hear my accent, ever, unless I mispronounce something and it just sounds wrong.
- I have never had my ear lobes pierced.
- I used to be deathly afraid of dogs until I met my boyfriend’s dog, Bach, and it was basically love-at-first-sight. Bach is featured here.
- I’m a dedicated minimalist, which my loved ones enjoy poking fun at it whenever the opportunity presents itself.
- I have a very dark sense of humor. It is the best feeling when someone temporarily hates you for making them laugh at an inappropriate joke.